We have completed our first five weeks of Flacco Fridays, and your level of participation has been extraordinary! In order to keep you on your toes, 1st Mariner Bank and Team Flacco have decided to introduce a brand new series of weekly contests that will take place over the next few weeks. This contest series will put your attention to detail to the test!
How will it work?
- Each Monday at 10:00 a.m., two pictures of Joe Flacco will be posted on 1st Mariner Bank’s Facebook wall.
- Participants must find the five differences between the two photos, then send 1st Mariner Bank a private, direct message on Facebook describing the five differences.
- The fifth person to accurately describe the five differences wins!
When can I enter?
- The pictures of Joe will be posted on 1st Mariner Bank’s Facebook page each Monday at 10:00 a.m. You may begin submitting your entries then. The first contest will begin on Monday, October 29th at 10:00 a.m.
- Participants will have until each Wednesday of that week at 11:59 p.m. to enter. (But remember, you must be the fifth person to correctly identify the five differences to win!)
- The winner will be announced on 1st Mariner Bank’s Facebook page before 5:00 p.m. on each Friday that the contest runs.
What can I win?
Each week, the fifth person to correctly identify the five differences between the pictures via a direct message to 1st Mariner Bank on Facebook will win a piece of autographed Joe Flacco merchandise!
Click here to read the full terms and conditions.
Tip: If you “like” Joe Flacco’s and 1st Mariner Bank’s Facebook pages, you will get news feed alerts detailing information about each week’s contest over the course of the football season.
Hey college grads - picture this: after receiving your diploma, you’ve landed a great job at a Fortune 500 company and you’ve got a killer apartment in Harbor East overlooking the water, on which you spend your weekends out on your new boat, where your new “bling” sparkles in the sunlight. Now take a safety pin and pop that ridiculous dream cloud. I could say I’m sorry for smashing (or popping) your dreams, but instead I’m going to say welcome to the real world!
You may have once been the big man on campus, but have you ever heard of the big-fish-little-pond effect? Welcome to the ocean. Now, if you are intelligent, motivated, and a hard worker, I’m sure you’ll go far in your chosen career…but no matter how intelligent, motivated, and hard-working you are, chances are you’ll be beginning your career in a tiny cubicle with a measly paycheck. Oh, and don’t forget about those lovely student loans that it’s time to start paying off.
In order to avoid that “I-think-I-should-be-able-to-live-like-a-rock-star-since-I’m-done-with-college-and-have-a-real-job-now” complex, take into consideration some of these tips for managing your money when you first enter the real world:
- Open a checking and savings account if you don’t already have them. Though you are no longer a student, many banks will still allow you to open a student/starter checking account, which generally offers some extra advantages over other basic checking accounts.
- Set a monthly and weekly budget. Figure out how much money you’ll need for bills each month, decide on a realistic amount of money you plan on saving, then take the rest and do the math (yup, still using math out of school) to figure out how to spread out your spending money evenly over the course of the month. Online personal finance management tools can be helpful with this.
- Make sacrifices. After you create your budget, chances are you’ll have less spending money than you would’ve hoped for, so you’re going to have to prioritize your wants. Do you have to have that Starbucks latte every morning? That’s fine, but you may have to cut out those Thursday evening Happy Hours.
- Pay all of your bills on time. You can do this easily using a bill pay service, which allows you to schedule payments ahead of time and set up recurring monthly payments. If you find that you are having trouble paying your bills on time, reconfigure your budget.
- Open a credit card account. Stick to one credit card at first, and don’t charge things to your card that you can’t actually afford.
- Take advantage of any benefits that your new job offers. Health insurance plans are generally much cheaper when you purchase them through your employer, and many companies offer 401(k) matching benefits. You need to start saving for retirement anyway (unless you plan on working forever), so you might as well let your employer help add to your fund.
The GOOD news is, at some point you’ll start making more money. When this happens, you can add a little more to your weekly budget, but seeing as you’ve been able to survive on your current budget, try to think about your long-term goals and add most of your extra cash to your savings.
If you found this article useful, be sure to check out these related articles:
How I Graduated Debt-Free from College
Money in Your 30s: Manage It, Don't Be Managed by It
The Imaginary Mortgage: Fake It Til You Make It
Update - 10/22/2012
The first five weeks of Flacco Fridays were a great success! We got tons of excellent quetions each week! See our Facebook page to view Joe's answers to your five most intriguing questions of each week. In order to keep things interesting, we will be changing the rules for our next series of contests. Stay tuned for details on the new rules and how to enter!
Do you have a question you've just been dying to ask Baltimore's Quarterback, Joe Flacco? If not, it's time to get out that notepad and brainstorming hat. On Friday, September 14th Team Flacco and 1st Mariner Bank will be kicking off "Flacco Fridays," a series of weekly Facebook contests that will run through the end of the football season.
So what's happening this week? Great question. Speaking of great questions...well, read on for a general overview:
- Think of one question that you would like to ask Joe Flacco.
- Visit the Joe Flacco Official Fan Page on Facebook, and post your question on the wall.
- Team Flacco will select the top five most intriguing questions.
- Joe will answer the top five selected questions, and those questions, along with Joe's answers will be posted on 1st Mariner Bank's Facebook page throughout the day on Friday, October 12th.
- The person who asks the number one most intriguing question will not only get his/her question answered by Joe, he/she will also win a prize!
Exciting, huh? If you would like to participate in this contest, keep reading! Here are the nitty-gritty details:
- Fans may submit their questions beginning Friday, October 6th through Wednesday, October 10th at 11:59 p.m. Questions must be submitted on Joe Flacco's Official Fan Page Facebook wall.
- Joe's answers to the five most intriguing questions will be posted one at a time throughout the day on Friday, October 12th on 1st Mariner Bank's Facebook page (countdown style).
- The number one question of the week will be the last one posted on 1st Mariner's Facebook page. The person who submitted the question must either send 1st Mariner Bank a direct message on Facebook or call 410-735-2035 to claim his/her prize.
If your question is not selected, don't fret! We will be starting from scratch the following week...and the three weeks after that (for a grand total of five weeks)! New contest, same rules.
After five weeks we will begin a brand new "Flacco Fridays" contest. Stay tuned for more details!
Tip: If you "like" Joe Flacco's and 1st Mariner Bank's Facebook page, you will get news feed alerts detailing information about each week's contest over the course of the football season.